Casio has launched a fascinating augmented reality (AR) app that shows how their digital pianos would look in any location.
The app also allows the user to see if the instrument fits a specific space without having to get out the tape measure. And the various colour finishes can be viewed to see which looks the best.
Even if you aren’t thinking of buying a Casio instrument, this is still worth trying out as it does show how useful augmented reality can be. If you’ve tried the IKEA PLACE app you will be familiar with this technology.
How does the Casio app work?
You don’t actually need to download the app – it works from a webpage using your web browser. Unfortunately, the Casio app will currently only run on certain mobile devices (see below), and, by its very nature, can’t be used on a desktop computer.
- Go to this Casio website page…
- Scan the QR code
- Choose one of the Casio digital pianos from the selection shown
- Point the mobile device’s camera at the spot you want to place the instrument, and then slowly move the device up down left and right. This allows the software to “map” the area.
- Use one finger to move the digital piano to the desired location, and two fingers to adjust its angle.
- To take a screenshot (for reference) tap the screen again to bring up the shutter button.
Once you’ve got the hang of it, the AR app is quick and easy to use.
The great thing about this software is that it shows far more than just a static image of the instrument in the desired location. As you move around you see the piano from different angles… even above. The piano really feels like it is in your home.
One of the key considerations many of our customers have when buying a piano or keyboard is ‘will it fit?’. This already difficult dilemma has become increasingly harder in recent months, with many of our customers unable to visit bricks and mortar retailers to check sizes and colours.Neil Evans, Head of Casio EMI UK
Hopefully, other manufacturers will introduce similar solutions. When it comes to seeing if a piano will fit, this is far more fun than Steinway’s floor templates!
- iOS:13.1 or later
- Browser: Safari, Chrome
- Smartphone: iPhone 6S or later
- Tablet: iPad 5th generation or later
- AR effects might not be displayed on some devices or in some OS environments
- Certain products might differ from their actual appearance in some cases
- Colours might not be accurately displayed depending on the environment.